Due to the poor air quality before Thanksgiving, we had to take an unexpected day off from school on Friday, November 16, 2018. However, we are required by the state of California to have a minimum amount of school days every year. Currently, we are below that amount due to the smoke.
To fix this, we are adding another school day to the school year to help compensate with this state requirement. On Friday, May 24, 2019, we will be having a full day of school instead of the planned day off. Bell Times are the standard 9:00am-3:00pm for all students. That is the only change to the calendar that is being made. The update to the calendar can found in the below link:
JBA Calendar 2018-2019 Final (11.16 Edit)
Please use this version of the school calendar going forward. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us @ 510-481-1222 Ext. 0
Thank you all for your support.
Please note that our monthly Parent Advisory Board meeting has been cancelled for the month of November (11/28/18). Our next meeting will be held on Wednesday, December 12, 2018 @6:30pm.
Hello to all of our families and friends,
As you are all aware, this past Friday we had made the decision to close our school due to the high amounts of smoke in the air from the nearby wildfires. Due to the closure, we had to cancel that day’s Thanksgiving Lunch celebration for our students and families.
We are happy to announce that this cancellation was just postponement as we plan to have our yearly celebration during the week when students arrive back from break.
Next Friday, November 30, 2018, we will be having our Thanksgiving Luncheon. All students and their families are welcome to join us for a meal. We will be mailing out brand new invitations to families with updated schedules of when each classroom will be eating.
If you have any questions, please feel free to call us @ (510)-481-1222 Ext. 0
This is a notice that the Parent Advisory Board Meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 24, 2018 @ 6:30pm. See attached flyer for general details.
Hello to all of our parents and supporters. As we finish up the first full month of the school, we are gearing up for some great education and some fun activities in the upcoming month. Please note the following important dates for the month of October:
- Thursday, October 11, 2018 – Special Minimum Day. All students will be dismissed @ 1:45PM
- Friday, October 12, 2018 – Staff Development Day. There is no school for students.
- Friday, October 26, 2018 – Picture Day. Order forms will be handed out next week to all students to take home. You do not need to order pictures before picture day. You will be able to order pictures via a composite example that all students receive if they take their picture on Picture Day. **All students are still subject to the JBA Dress Code for Picture Day.**
- Wednesday, October 31, 2018 – Halloween Celebration. We will be putting on appropriately aged Halloween activities for all students. Including a Parade of costumes for our younger students throughout all the classrooms. For our older students, we will be putting on a dance party during the school day. All students are encouraged to wear a costume for Halloween. However, costume choices are still subject to our JBA Dress Code. See the link for details. Halloween Costume Regulations **For families that do not want their children participating in Halloween activities due to religious beliefs, please let us know and we will provide an appropriate alternative activity.**
Thank you all for your support.
Welcome to all of our families and supporters!!!
As we are finishing up our Summer Session, we are gearing up for the start of our Regular School Year 2018-2019 in the Fall. We have some new and exciting enhancements to our school site that we will be premiering in late August. New improvements such as a new sensory room for students to learn and explore thoughts and feelings. In addition, we will also be opening up a new playground area for our students that will include a small AstroTurf field and a play yard structure. We anticipate that these new part to our school site will be ready to go either on the first day of school or shortly after.
As we come to the end of July, We would like to keep you updated on important upcoming dates to be aware of. Please read and note the following:
Important August 2018 Dates
- Friday, August 3, 2018 – Last day of Summer School (Field Trip to Boomers for students who have reached Summer School Attendance Goals)
- Summer Break – Monday, August 6, 2018 through Friday, August 17, 2018 (Two Weeks Long)
- Monday, August, 20, 2018 – First Day of School for students (Minimum Day schedule – Student Dismissal @ 1:45pm)
- Wednesday, August 22, 2018 – Family Support Group (Welcome to all families of current and former students. Childcare and Dinner are provided. Please RSVP to Niekachi Nwogu @ 510-682-0716) 6:30pm-8:00pm
- **ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT SEPTEMBER 2018 DATE** – Monday, September 3, 2018 – Labor Day (No School for Students)
Thank you for all of your support!
Hello to all of our families, students, and supporters. The month of June marks the last month of our regular school year. As we get closer to the last day of school, we plan to celebrate our students for another successful and monumental school year here at James Baldwin Academy.
Yesterday, we celebrated our graduating seniors for the academic achievement of earning their High School Diploma!
Below are a few words from our School Principal, Sama Hromnik, to commemorate this momentous occasion:
“After years of hard work, grit, and perseverance, two of our JBA students graduated last night. Both made tremendous progress going from significant self injurious and social avoidance, to bright, smiling, and proud individuals on their graduation day. They have both been employed at JBA and Walmart and completed college level courses and are prepared for life after school. Thank you and a huge shout out to all the JBA staff (current and former) who helped these two young people along the way. It does indeed take a village!”
Parents, please feel free to join us on our other end of the year festivities. Below are important dates to remember for June 2018:
- Wednesday, June 13, 2018 – Parent Support Group @ 6:30pm
- Wednesday, June 20, 2018 – Parent Advisory Board (End of the Year Edition) @ 6:30pm
- Tuesday, June 26, 2018 – Awards Night / 5th-8th Grade Promotion Ceremony @6:00pm. All families and friends are welcome to this event. Every Student will win an Award at this event. Please be sure to RSVP to Dominic @ 510-481-1222 Ext. 0
- Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – The Last Day of the Regular School Year. Minimum Day Schedule. All students will be dismissed @ 1:45pm
- Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – Carnival Day starting @ 9:30am. On the same day of the last day of school, our students will be enjoying Carnival-like activities throughout the whole school day. All families are welcome to this event. Please RSVP to Dominic @510-481-1222 Ext. 0
- Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – Parent Support Group @ 6:30pm
From there, that will conclude the month of June 2018 activities and our Regular School Year.
Our JBA Summer School Program (Extended School Year) will start on Monday, July 9, 2018. Summer School Bell Times for our students are Monday – Friday 9:00am-1:45pm. Summer School will be from July 9, 2018 – August 3, 2018
Thank you to all of you for your support of our school and our mission!