Welcome to all of our families and supporters!!!
As we are finishing up our Summer Session, we are gearing up for the start of our Regular School Year 2018-2019 in the Fall. We have some new and exciting enhancements to our school site that we will be premiering in late August. New improvements such as a new sensory room for students to learn and explore thoughts and feelings. In addition, we will also be opening up a new playground area for our students that will include a small AstroTurf field and a play yard structure. We anticipate that these new part to our school site will be ready to go either on the first day of school or shortly after.
As we come to the end of July, We would like to keep you updated on important upcoming dates to be aware of. Please read and note the following:
Important August 2018 Dates
- Friday, August 3, 2018 – Last day of Summer School (Field Trip to Boomers for students who have reached Summer School Attendance Goals)
- Summer Break – Monday, August 6, 2018 through Friday, August 17, 2018 (Two Weeks Long)
- Monday, August, 20, 2018 – First Day of School for students (Minimum Day schedule – Student Dismissal @ 1:45pm)
- Wednesday, August 22, 2018 – Family Support Group (Welcome to all families of current and former students. Childcare and Dinner are provided. Please RSVP to Niekachi Nwogu @ 510-682-0716) 6:30pm-8:00pm
- **ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT SEPTEMBER 2018 DATE** – Monday, September 3, 2018 – Labor Day (No School for Students)
Thank you for all of your support!
Hello to all of our families, students, and supporters. The month of June marks the last month of our regular school year. As we get closer to the last day of school, we plan to celebrate our students for another successful and monumental school year here at James Baldwin Academy.
Yesterday, we celebrated our graduating seniors for the academic achievement of earning their High School Diploma!
Below are a few words from our School Principal, Sama Hromnik, to commemorate this momentous occasion:
“After years of hard work, grit, and perseverance, two of our JBA students graduated last night. Both made tremendous progress going from significant self injurious and social avoidance, to bright, smiling, and proud individuals on their graduation day. They have both been employed at JBA and Walmart and completed college level courses and are prepared for life after school. Thank you and a huge shout out to all the JBA staff (current and former) who helped these two young people along the way. It does indeed take a village!”
Parents, please feel free to join us on our other end of the year festivities. Below are important dates to remember for June 2018:
- Wednesday, June 13, 2018 – Parent Support Group @ 6:30pm
- Wednesday, June 20, 2018 – Parent Advisory Board (End of the Year Edition) @ 6:30pm
- Tuesday, June 26, 2018 – Awards Night / 5th-8th Grade Promotion Ceremony @6:00pm. All families and friends are welcome to this event. Every Student will win an Award at this event. Please be sure to RSVP to Dominic @ 510-481-1222 Ext. 0
- Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – The Last Day of the Regular School Year. Minimum Day Schedule. All students will be dismissed @ 1:45pm
- Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – Carnival Day starting @ 9:30am. On the same day of the last day of school, our students will be enjoying Carnival-like activities throughout the whole school day. All families are welcome to this event. Please RSVP to Dominic @510-481-1222 Ext. 0
- Wednesday, June 27, 2018 – Parent Support Group @ 6:30pm
From there, that will conclude the month of June 2018 activities and our Regular School Year.
Our JBA Summer School Program (Extended School Year) will start on Monday, July 9, 2018. Summer School Bell Times for our students are Monday – Friday 9:00am-1:45pm. Summer School will be from July 9, 2018 – August 3, 2018
Thank you to all of you for your support of our school and our mission!
We are all nearing the end of our regular school year here at JBA. With this checkpoint in our school year, we wanted to remind you of some very important dates to remember for the month of May:
- Wednesday, May 16, 2018 – Parent Support Group 6:30pm-8:00pm
- Friday, May 18, 2018 – State Testing Celebration for Students
- Wednesday, May 23, 2018 – High School Prom
- Friday, May 25 through Monday, May 28, 2018 – Memorial Day Holiday Weekend (there will be no school on both that Friday and Monday. We will be back in session on Tuesday, May 29, 2018)
- Wednesday, May 30, 2018 – Parent Advisory Board 6:30pm-7:30pm
Thank you all for your continued support of our school.
Hi all, due to scheduling for the month of April with one week lost due to Spring Break, it has been decided to postpone our monthly Parent Advisory Board meeting for the last Wednesday of April. On that day, April 25, we will be holding our regular Parent Support Group, starting at 6:30pm.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dominic Acevedo @ (510)-481-1222
This month at JBA, we will be having Picture Re-take Day, provided by Lifetouch. This picture day is reserved for students who did not take their picture back in the fall only. (An example would be if your child was not attend our school when we had our Fall Picture Day.)
Picture Day would be the time to pay for pictures. However, it is not your only time. If your child takes their picture on Picture Day, within a couple of weeks you will receive an example photo with an opportunity to pay for pictures at that time as well via Lifetouch’s website. All ordering info needed will be provided within the example photo envelope.
*Note – While it is encouraged for students to take their picture, it is not mandatory for any of our students to take a picture. We will not enforce this request if refused.
For any questions, please call Dominic Acevedo @ (510)-481-1222.
Hello to all of our parents, students and supporters,
Next Friday, March 30, 2018 will be one of our annual events, JBA Community Day. For this event, we have activities throughout the day for our students to help beautify the school environment. Such activities as gardening, painting stones and signs, classroom team building exercises, etc. If you are one of our parents and are interested in volunteering, please contact our school at (510)-481-1222 Ext. 0
**Please note that Community Day is also a Minimum Day for our schedule. All students will be dismissed @ 1:45pm.**
Hi to all of our families and students.
Please see below. During the week of March 12, 2018 – March 16, 2018, we will be having Spirit Week at James Baldwin Academy. Each day will feature a new theme to show off your school spirit.
In addition, Spirit week will also feature a minimum day schedule throughout the whole week. For this week only (Monday – Friday), all students will be dismissed at 1:45pm.
**Of note to keep in mind. Spirit Week will feature different fun themes to participate in. However, our school dress code is still enforced at that time. Please see your 2017-2018 JBA Parent Handbook for reference.**